Saturday, 23rd August 2014

Miss World contest to be staged only in Bali

Sabtu, 7 September 2013 19:40 WIB | 1.842 Views
Miss World contest to be staged only in Bali
Miss World contestants at Nusa Dua, Bali (7/9). (ANTARAFOTO/Nyoman Budhiana)
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian government has announced that the Miss World 2013 pageant will only be held in Bali.

"We have revised the security permit (allowing) it to be held completely in Bali. So changes have been made with regard to Miss World activities according to what the public wanted and the development interests of Indonesian tourism. So the event will proceed, but only in Bali," coordinating minister for people`s welfare, Agung Laksono, said at a press conference at the residence of vice president Boediono here on Saturday afternoon.

Initially, the contest was scheduled to be held in Bali on September 8, with its final round in Sentul, Bogor, West Java.

Several Islamic organizations, however, have expressed their opposition to the holding of the event in Indonesia.

Agung said participants would not be prevented from visiting other regions in the country, but the contest will be staged only in Bali.

"Of course, it is not a problem if participants of the Miss World contest visit other tourist locations, such as Borobudur Temple or Yogya, while here," he said.

Agung hoped all parties could understand and appreciate the government`s decision, which is a compromise based upon requests from various parties.

He said one of the government`s decisions with regard to the contest was banning the bikini contest, which is considered offensive to Indonesian culture and values.

National police chief General Timur Pradopo said local police had been ordered to make security preparations for the event.

"Security will be carried out by regional police and helped by community members, as well as TNI (military)," he said.

Meanwhile, deputy minister of tourism and creative economy Sapta Nirwandar said the committee had agreed to make adjustments following protests from several quarters.

"What has become a problem are swimsuits or two-piece clothes or a bikini contest, which is required in other countries. Now it is absent. The committee has required it. Participants would even be asked to wear local costumes," he said.

He said the event, which is to see 129 participants from around the world, provides a good opportunity for Indonesia to introduce its tourist sites and culture to the world.

reporting by arie novarina

(T.SYS/B/KR-BSR/A/H-YH)