Govt not to shelve nuke power plant project
Thu, December 3 2009 17:53 | 528 Views
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Research and Technology Minister Suharna Surapranata said the government would not shelve its plan to build a nuclear power plant (PLTN) in the country.
"The plan to build a nuclear power plant should not be terminated. The government is still preparing its blue print," the minister said on the sidelines of an executive meeting of the Nuclear Power Supervisory Board (Bapeten) here on Thursday.
Suharna said that the government had not decided who would become the operator of the nuclear power plant which according to plan would be built in Muria Peninsula, Central Java.
"The construction of a PLTN facility needs a large investment," the former researcher at the National Atomic and Energy Agency (BATAN), said. He said the option for the operator of the plant was the government (a state-owned company) or a private firm.
The minister said that in the face of the project his side was still training and educating human resources at the BATAN and Bepeten.
He said that the government hoped that they would become nuclear experts in line with the plan to build the nuclear plant which was expected to start in 2010 and commence operations in 2016.
The minister said that the construction of the nuclear plant had been delayed since he was assigned a researcher with the BATAN and attended a nuclear education program at the University of Indonesia in 1978.
"This is regardless of the fact that the need for electricity continues to increase," he said.
In the meantime, Bapeten head Natio Lasman denied if it was said that the delay in the construction of the nuke plant had been caused by the lack of investment funds because a nuclear plant with a capacity of 1,000 MW only needed Rp20 trillion.
He said that this amount was not far from the amount of fuel oil subsidy allocation which accounted for only tens of trillion rupiah.(*)
COPYRIGHT © 2009